not leave the controls until the load has been safely
(2) Attach horizontal tracks Nos. 1 (17) and 2 (27)
attached or safely lowered to the ground.
to track angles (20) and secure with four bolts (11), nuts
(4) Only the erection gear prescribed in this
(4), lockwashers (5), and square beveled washers (19).
manual shall be used without consulting a civil engineer.
All other erection and installation procedures must be
(5), and square beveled washers (19) to secure
approved by a civil engineer.
horizontal tracks Nos. 1 (17) and 2 (27) to short track
(5) Before tower is fully erect and tower leg comes
brace (30) and channel support assemblies Nos. 2 (18)
down completely, make sure holes in flange of leg A
and 3 (28).
align with studs in tower support. Correct alignment if
holes and studs are not aligned. Otherwise, damage to
c. Installation of Scaffold Winch Assembly. The
tower leg or tower support will result.
scaffold winch assembly is installed if antenna is to be
(1) Attach winch support assembly (31) to channel
When tower is raised, make sure that
support assemblies Nos. 2 (18) and 3 (28) and secure
cable rides in slot at top of gin pole.
Gin pole will then act as lever.
square beveled washers (15).
(2) Attach winch support (1) to winch support
assembly (31). Secure with two bolts (6), nuts (7), and
Both a winch truck and tower hoist is
needed for raising the tower.
(3) Attach winch (32) to winch support (1). Secure
with two bolts (3), nuts (4), and lockwashers (5).
b. Raising the Tower.
(4) Attach winch support brace (9) between winch
support assembly (31) and scaffold support plate (10).
winch to tower adapter at legs B and C (the legs nearest
the ground). Wrap this winch cable twice around each
corner (B and C) and fasten to itself to form a sling with
d. Tower Adapter Grating Attachment. Refer to
legs of equal length.
(2) Attach multiple-leg sling assembly (5, figure 2-
by the type of grating clamp assemblies (type A or type
C at the bottom
of tower section No.
See figure 2-8 for points and method of attachment.
(3) Connect one end of erection cable (6, figure 2-
(1) If vertical elevator tracks have been installed,
attach top track assemblies (22 and 25) to channel
hoist cable. Attach this cable to eye bolt (6, figure 2-5)
support assembly No. 1 (26). Secure with eight bolts
(21), nuts (7), and lockwashers (8).
(5) With tower hoist, raise tower. Restrain it as it
(2) Check and tighten all attaching hardware that
approaches the vertical position by means of winch
has been installed in assembling and attaching tower
adapter, including attaching hardware for scaffold winch
assembly and for tower adapter grating attachment.
Before tower is completely erect,
2-15 RAISING THE TOWER.
check alignment of studs in tower
support with mating holes in tower
a. Precautions. Take the following precautions
leg that comes down. If holes and
before and during tower raising operations:
studs do not align, correct the
Otherwise damage to
(1) The truck winch and winch cable used for
tower leg or tower support will
raising assemblies and restraining the tower during
erection must have a minimum work load rating of 1 ton.
(2) There shall be at least two full wraps of cable
(6) Before tower leg A comes completely down
on the drum of the tower hoist during its operation.
onto pier, make sure that the holes in this leg align with
(3) When hoisting equipment, the operator shall
bolts in tower support.
not be permitted to perform any other work. He shall