(6) With winch truck, lower tower section to
o. Tower Sections Nos. 2 and 3. A 1-ton winch
truck and a tower hoist are needed. Refer to figure 5-
12. Take all applicable precautions.
(1) First, do the following:
(1) At each tower leg pier, detach one nut
(10), lockwasher (11), flat washer (15), and ground wire
(a) Remove all parts necessary before
lowering tower, and lower tower. Refer to paragraph 5-
(2) If tower pivot base assemblies and tower
support are not to be removed, replace nuts (10) and
(c) Remove tower adapter (paragraph
(1) If tower sections have not been removed,
(d) Remove tower section No. 4
(e) For tower section No. 2, remove
tower section No. 3.
(3) Detach tower support from tower leg A by
(2) Connect multiple-leg sling assembly,
removing three bolts (11), nuts (10), and lockwashers
erection cable, and tower hoist as described in
paragraph 5-10n, step (2), except connect multiple-leg
sling assembly to tower section No. 2 for removing
(1) Remove tower sections.
tower section No. 3, or to tower section No. 1 for
paragraphs 5-10n through 5-10p.
removing tower section No. 2.
(2) Detach tower pivots Nos. 1 and 2 (1) from
(3) Raise tower slightly by using erection
tower pivot base assemblies (9) by removing three bolts
hoist and gin pole. Be sure that erection cable rides in
(2), nuts (3), and lockwashers (4) for each pivot.
cable slot at top of gin pole before starting to raise
(3) Detach two tower pivot base assemblies
tower. Move supporting blocks to remaining tower
from piers by removing for each assembly eight nuts
section adjacent to the one being removed. Place them
under legs B and C, 1 foot 6 inches from top of leg
(15) and ground wire assembly (14) for each tower pivot
assemblies. Do not lower tower yet.
(4) Remove nine bolts (10), nuts (7), and
lockwashers (8) that connect tower section to be
(1) Disconnect power.
removed from the adjacent one.
(2) Detach tower hoist from hoist frame
(5) With winch truck, lower detached tower
assembly (13) by removing six nuts (10) and
section to ground. With tower hoist lower rest of tower
onto supporting blocks.
(3) Lift hoist frame assembly (13) off winch
ton winch truck is needed.
(1) Remove all parts necessary before
(4) Remove eye bolt (6), two nuts (7), and
one lockwasher (8) from hoist frame assembly.
(2) Remove all tower parts necessary before
removing tower sections Nos. 2, 3, and 4; then remove
a. Tower Sections Nos. 1, 2, and 3. Refer to
(3) Attach cable from winch truck to tower
When working on structural tower,
use safety climbing belts and hold
(4) With winch truck, raise tower section
tools and materials in proper
slightly. Remove supporting blocks.
containers. Pass tools and materials
(5) Detach tower legs B and C (5) from tower
by using appropriate containers or
pivots Nos. 1 and 2 (1) by removing three bolts (2), nuts
(3), and lockwashers (4) for each leg.